New member/owner

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
GatorFL

New member/owner

Post by GatorFL »

Hi All,

I picked up a pretty neat 1974 Celica from eBay a couple weeks ago. It's pretty remarkable, other than a battery charger installed and the valve cover and air cleaner being chromed it seems to be 100% original. The interior looks almost new; the car has never been smoked in. The ashtrays are pristine! About me--I've been a car guy forever. My last fun car was a 1986 Ferrari 328 and I am a moderator at Ferrarichat.com. I miss the Ferrari and am looking for a new one (550 Maranello) but this should be a fun addition to the collection. How many licence plates moved from a Ferrari to a Celica? :D My wife happens to be in management at a Toyota distributor so she is pretty pleased with this purchase. Surprising because most of my car stuff she frowns upon. We live in South Florida near West Palm Beach.

I bought the car with plans to soup it up. But after getting it, I have decided it needs to remain a time capsule. The original window sticker came with the car! I need to find a good mechanic to work on the car in the South Florida area. All the rubber/hoses seem to be original. The suspension needs some work, I think. Basically all the rubber is dry rotting and so everything needs to be replaced. If anybody can help me track down an original valve cover and air cleaner it would be appreciated.

I need some advice on uploading a photo to this site.
modernrockbro

Re: New member/owner

Post by modernrockbro »

I think getting the original valve cover & breather will be short order. Give it a day or two, but knowing the car you're already going to get attention for buying it.

This is her right?

Not everyone believes in "community". Some consistently hate & are negative. Some are self-preserving egomaniacs. The elitist clique ignores anyone outside their bubble. Lastly, innocent spectators, & then those who believe in community.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Yep. I saw it for sale on CL and then a short time later on eBay. I figured it was an omen. The air cleaner and valve covers have got to go. The guy I bought it from swapped out the nasty rims and got some stock rims for it.

I found a gas receipt under the seat from 1996.
modernrockbro

Post by modernrockbro »

Welcome aboard and congrats on the car. Go to "Parts Classified" and put heading "WTB: 18RC Valve Cover and Air Breather". Also go ahead and make another post under "Parts Classified" for selling your chrome valve cover and air breather. Post what price you want for both the chrome pieces. I would not be in a rush to sell them, as they are a bit rare and in nice condition. I'd imagine most people would at least be asking around $150 a piece for them.

You have a few friends in Florida already. Greg (7t5-27) and Stu (Bollox). I'd PM them if you have any questions. Both are pretty nice and knowledgeable.
Not everyone believes in "community". Some consistently hate & are negative. Some are self-preserving egomaniacs. The elitist clique ignores anyone outside their bubble. Lastly, innocent spectators, & then those who believe in community.
Raffaelli

Post by Raffaelli »

Wow! :shock:

Super clean! Can I ask how much you paid for it?
I sent my Celica to hell,

It will be waiting for me...
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

I think it was $7600.
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Finally got the call from my mechanic on the list we need to tackle.

1. Exhaust downpipe cracked and needs welding.
2. Carb needs rebuilt.
3. A/C needs converted to R-134 and they need to get into the dash to find out why the controls are so sticky.
4. Oil pressure sending unit is bad, need a new one.
5. Needs alignment.
6. Need a gas cap.

I gave Dave (my mechanic) a list of parts suppliers I found here. Does anybody know where we can find a gas cap or get my gas cap re-sealed? How about the oil pressure sending unit?
7t5-27

Post by 7t5-27 »

You can get to the vents where the cables terminate without taking the dash apart, lube all the pivot points should make them easier to move, I have a couple of locking gas caps PM me, find the ohm range on the sending unit find aftermarket, try sending unit for other toyota cars with guages not idiot lights. Good Luck Be Safe
Greg
It's a TA27 not a TE27
chasen88

Post by chasen88 »

Hey what's up I'm in Weston we should meet up sometime I'm glad to see another celica over this side
""The jungle creed says the strongest feed
on any prey that it can.  
And I was branded beast at every feast,  
before I ever became a man."
-John Hull-
75CelicaGT

Post by 75CelicaGT »

A lot of places online sell the Oil Pressure Sending units, I just replaced mine in fact.

RockAuto
O'Reilly
Autozone

and check with your local auto parts store, because they should be able to get it.

:cheers:
Pete
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

Chasen88--As soon as the car is all fixed up let's go on a drive!
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

75CelicaGT wrote:A lot of places online sell the Oil Pressure Sending units, I just replaced mine in fact.

RockAuto
O'Reilly
Autozone

and check with your local auto parts store, because they should be able to get it.

:cheers:
Pete
Hi Pete, Dave my mechanic is working on it.