New member from Northern Nevada with a Liftback project

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
BoxheadTim

New member from Northern Nevada with a Liftback project

Post by BoxheadTim »

Guess I should say hello before I start asking a bunch of stupid questions :D. And yes, I've found the FAQ section already.

I've been playing with cars for over 20 years by now, but never had a chance to own a Celica LB when I lived in Europe simply because they were either too far gone or too expensive.

I've just acquired a '77 LB that is a bit of a project. It looks like it's spent most of its life up here in Northern Nevada so it appears to be pretty solid. According to the guy I bought it off it belonged to an old lady for a long time, then her grandson drove it but decided that the carb and the emissions gear would look much better in his truck. The guy I bought it off got it running again with a Weber carb (that looks more like a parts carb to me, it's missing a few bits) and it sounds sweet, but it's not roadworthy at the moment. I haven't actually worked on a Toyota of this age (although I used to own an '80 LB a long time ago so I'll need plenty of advice and most likely a bunch of parts, too.

Anyway, the plan is to clean it up, get it repainted and drive it like a stole it (on closed circuits, not public roads). Here it is, in its current faded glory:

1977 Liftback project.
Raffaelli

Re: New member from Northern Nevada with a Liftback project

Post by Raffaelli »

Welcome!

I like the paintjob. Even the slotted mags dont look bad on it.

:2thumbs:
I sent my Celica to hell,

It will be waiting for me...
rachuck21

Post by rachuck21 »

Hi ! Are those stripes factory ? Kinda look like it. Nice car ! I love slotted mags ! Chuck
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
https://imgur.com/m2giFIx
BoxheadTim

Post by BoxheadTim »

I don't know if the stripes are factory or not, but they look like they've been on the car for a long time. I'm still a little dubious about them :) but even my wife says I've got to keep them. Fortunately someone on another forum I'm on told me he can replicate them for me in vinyl if I can get lots of photos and detailed measurements to him.

The annoying issue with the slot mags is that the offset on the front ones is wrong and they stick out about 1/2" past the fender. That's not really visible in the photos but it looks very awkward. As I don't want to have to make visible modifications to the body, I either have to find alternative wheels or at least find a pair of 14" slot mags with a more fitting offset so I can keep these for street driving.
1977 Liftback project.
rachuck21

Post by rachuck21 »

Tim, Does that mean all the mags have the same offset ? Looks like alot of lip up front. How wide are they ? The wider ones are more rare and desirable for guys that want to flare their car. Also stripes are for sale here.forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=105 Chuck
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill
https://imgur.com/m2giFIx
BoxheadTim

Post by BoxheadTim »

Chuck, it does look like the wheels all have the same offset - I haven't had them off yet, though. Planning to do this later today, once I get my wife's Jeep running OK again.

The wheels aren't particularly wide (my guess is around 14x6) as they have 185s mounted and they aren't stretched.

Thanks for the link to the stripes, btw.
1977 Liftback project.
blackrabbit

Post by blackrabbit »

Hi Tim, cool... glad you got in here.. I just posted a couple pics up for you on CM...
you will likely find what you need here. :cheers: