New member - Need help

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
vapg7

Re: New member - Need help

Post by vapg7 »

smiley wrote:Hello, please post a picture..Ford did use a similar carb on the pinto's, (I believe). think they used the water choke...mike
You can see the engine bay and the carburetor close up here:

I looked around the carburetor and found it was a 32/36 DGAV weber but the tag had me worried it wasn't the right one for the car.
Last edited by vapg7 on May 4th, 2011, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, so are you still concerned about something? Should be A O.K...mike
speechless6

Post by speechless6 »

She looks sharp man, gl with it!
1977 Liftback GT

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death ..." - Hunter S. Thompson
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

Thanks for clarifying Mike.

Well, after I bought the car I went on a short vacation and just returned. I wanted to get back and work on it but after the trip and buying the car I'm now pretty much broke (it was all worth it though).

My first goal is to get this thing running smooth before i start investing $$$ to make it look nice...so here's a few things i gotta work on:

1. Fix the backfiring: from what i've read this can be a timing issue or a little tunning of the carb. Any other things that can cause it?
2. Replace exhaust manifold: it was previously welded to fix a crack and another one has spread right above the weld, i've looked at the local junk yard and all they have is cracked ones too, guess i'll have to buy some headers. Any suggestions on how to find a replacement exhaust manifold?
3. Replace muffler: due to the backfiring the muffler was blown and now has a huge hole, i'll probably have it weld back together as the hole is right at the existing weld.

For now those are the things that need attention right away and that will not cost too much to fix.

Vic
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

Vic Keep a close eye on the fuel filter and look for rust in there, if the car was sitting for a long time then the tank may be rusted inside. That will cause you endless problems and needs to be addressed befor you rebuild/replace the carb.
You might as well find a set of headers and install them at the same time you do the muffler, actually replace everything at the same time to save $.... be aware of smog rules where you are before you try this you may be able to delete the cat or resonator midway too

Good Luck

Neil
If it ain't broke, BREAK IT
808celica2damax

Post by 808celica2damax »

neil reid wrote:Vic Keep a close eye on the fuel filter and look for rust in there, if the car was sitting for a long time then the tank may be rusted inside. That will cause you endless problems and needs to be addressed befor you rebuild/replace the carb.
You might as well find a set of headers and install them at the same time you do the muffler, actually replace everything at the same time to save $.... be aware of smog rules where you are before you try this you may be able to delete the cat or resonator midway too

Good Luck

Neil
That used to be Tony's car. Last time I talked to him he had issues with the fuel system because it was sitting but as far as I know he fixed that problem to get it running. I know he fixed the in tank fuel pump and changed the filters. I can't remember if he cleaned the tank. I'm pretty sure he did. He was addressing the issue before putting it up for sale. So I don't think that should be a problem.
No get caught up in the Huhu, Live Aloha.
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

It's got a new pump and fuel filter so i think i'm ok there, but i'll have to look at the gas tank too.
ChristobalRocks

Post by ChristobalRocks »

Nice car! Looks practically new compared to what most of us started with...
neil reid

Re: Thorus or Inog to 86181

Post by neil reid »

prabhavaticej wrote:The course also gives a casual to students to specialize on unusual areas, like name and men fashion design, handbag design, color and rendition craftsmanship, and make figure template.One may bribe the course chapter per chapter, too, especially if you just want to try elsewhere the progress first. Respecting this, you contain to look for clothes made not later than a artist whose rank does not flash in create magazines, but is familiar to you and for the benefit of a yard goods reason. Being up to the minute means wearing good rank clothes in which you look good. I know it is the upcoming the go nowadays but I can't set about on this, and I bequeath chuckle if I probe you wearing this; hermes orange birkin bag buy online, kelly wallet hermes replica, purchase hermes black birkin l bag visa, colours of hermes hand bags, hermes delicate pink hobo buy online mastercard, hermes handbags in paris, hermes deep coffee hobo order online with visa, birken bag hermes, hermes purple hobo purchase master card, hermes purses discounted.
Scuola Leonardo da Vinci is single of Italy's largest provider of in-country Italian courses in Italy since 1977. A the rage belt can create a delightfully curve in women's essentials to look her much more attractive. In league you last will and testament analyze forms of the latest thing styling via some of the most famous Italian fashion magazines such as: Look Italia, Amica, Marie Claire, Elle, and you will mug up the fruitful work models of iconic companies like Dolce & Gabbana and Giorgio Armani. There is nothing improper with wearing the latest fashions as extensive as you truly feel righteous in them, and aren't doing it only because every one else is doing it; hermes white hobo purchase with mastercard, hot to find fake hermes bags, hermes black hobo purchase master card, hermes wallet kelly, order hermes orange hobo online master card, authentic hermes birkin handbag, order hermes blue shoulder bag visa, grace kelly hermes bag, order hermes orange shoulder bag visa, hermes birkin bags.
Paris is a episode place looking for fashion. Fashion Wholesale, Wholesale Fashion Clothingat asianfashion4u.com Create Belt. Envision being able to find distant all the knowledge you insufficiency on the rage clothes, stores where such products are sold and things like that. Appear us: hermes coffee shoulder bag buy online with visa, hermes birkin bag knockoff, order hermes light coffee birkin bag online, hermes birkin bag replica, purchase hermes grey birkin bag visa, hermes mens wallets, order hermes dark coffee birkin bag master card, hermes gift bag, purchase hermes white kelly bag online with visa, hermes lindsey handbags.
Above women form clothing, other women the rage accessories file garb jewelry, women's footwear, model bags, ladies leather wallets; to cite a few. Everybody cannot point to the poor creme de la creme with a view not being clever to steal more than fifteen metres down the cat walk without stumbling along because of the silk laces tying her heels. Items such as white-hot pants and jumpsuits are back in fashion. It's not fashion if you look droll; louis vuitton damier ebene canvas berkeley order, louis vuitton trolley bag, buy louis vuitton damier ebene canvas trevi gm online with mastercard, louisville slugger nexus bat bag, order louis vuitton monogram canvas beverly clutch online with mastercard, authentic louis vuitton bag, buy louis vuitton monogram canvas eva online visa, louis vuitton brown handbag ellipse, purchase louis vuitton monogram canvas sophie pouchette, vuitton replica louis sutton handbags.
Being chic means wearing good value clothes in which you look good. Also, the insufficient briefly stories are greatly inspiring which time inspire women to change their narrow thoughts. A pithy Introduction to Manner Belt.Fashion area is a wearing accessoriesTo smooth is cast-off representing trend. Get gear that looks good on you and your body transcribe: order louis vuitton monogram canvas icare online master card, winter louis vuitton handbags, , louis vuitton canvas gm handbag, order louis vuitton monogram canvas manhattan gm with mastercard, louis vuitton gracie monogram handbag, louis vuitton monogram canvas speedy 30 order visa, louis vuitton make up bag, louis vuitton monogram canvas galliera gm order online with master card, louis vuitton vintage handbags.
So guys, if mania is your passion and your power, and you are intrinsic trend addicts this is the convenient sure for you. Ladies The rage Belts: Now a days although males use the circuit representing look or for keeping the upbraid in region soundless it is more cast-off seeking ladies fashion. In these shape shows, models inured to to abrasion numerous types of modish cloths and saunter through the dip, to parade these cloths to the fashion lovers onto there. This way you at one's desire understand you look appropriate, and you recollect that you are genuinely expressing yourself; buy louis vuitton damier ebene canvas folding wallet online, louis vuitton croissant bag authentic, buy louis vuitton monogram canvas abbesses online with mastercard, louis vuitton wallet international new, louis vuitton damier graphite keepall bandouliere purchase, louis vuitton replica handbag under 60.00, buy louis vuitton damier azur canvas totally gm online with visa, louis vuitton handbag coupons, purchase louis vuitton damier azur canvas noe, louis vuitton replica handbags wholesale prices.
WTF is this? MOds can we block this if it ain't legit, and I suspect it isn't

GEEZ LOUISE

NEIL
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

Nice, why post this on my thread?
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

OK, finally was able to do a little work on the LB. I tried to solve the backfiring issue by timing the car right (which was way off) but I never got to see if that fixed it because of another issue that came up. After setting the timing right i went ahead and measured the compression on the engine (a first time for me) to see what the readings on the motor were. Following instructions form the gage manufacturer I disabled the ignition, removed all plugs, opened throttle and...I get 60psi on the 1st cyl, 60 on the 2nd cyl, 30 on the third, and didn't even get to do the 4th cylinder because the thread where the plug goes in is no messed up (add that to the low compression issue).

From the results of the test, It seems the engine is got some major work needed (valves, rings,...?) or I did the test wrong. Can anyone confirm I did this right? Also, any suggestiongs on fixing the thread issue, i can't get the 4th plug back on to see if the backfiring is solved.

Anything would help,

thanks,

Victor
neil reid

Post by neil reid »

Wow those are some low numbers, try your kit on another engine without issues to see if tester is faulty. If it's ok then looks like a rebuild/replace situation. The healthy numbers shoulr be roughly triple what you're getting (180+)

Neil
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

Fixed the plug issue and the backfiring is basically gone, I did get a couple of bangs but timing it right helped a tone. The compression test readings still worries me.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, the engine won't run with the numbers you have. I'm with Neil on finding another compression tester. If it is a 2xx, the numbers will be around 120 psi (and average guess).More importantly, above 90, and close to the same. Remember to have the ignition dis-abled, throttle wide open, and good cranking speed. (like you did)Sometimes the valve stem in the tester goes bad, sometimes it gets replaced with a tire one. That has givin' me false readings in the past....Mike
vapg7

Post by vapg7 »

smiley wrote:Hello, the engine won't run with the numbers you have. I'm with Neil on finding another compression tester. If it is a 2xx, the numbers will be around 120 psi (and average guess).More importantly, above 90, and close to the same. Remember to have the ignition dis-abled, throttle wide open, and good cranking speed. (like you did)Sometimes the valve stem in the tester goes bad, sometimes it gets replaced with a tire one. That has givin' me false readings in the past....Mike
Mike,

thanks for the comments, the tester is new so i really hope that isn't the problem. Maybe the cranking speed could be an issue as i turned it manually...and it was not very fast. Are there better ways to do this?

Victor