need help with my 77 ra29

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
kenchase1990

need help with my 77 ra29

Post by kenchase1990 »

i need to put a carb on my 77 with a 20r. i was looking at the webber 32/36 (idk much bout carbs) but is that the best bet for the 20r? webber also has the kit with the aftermarket intake manifold, but my car is, unfortunately a california emissions car. will the new intake work? and will it mess with the vacuum system? im open to suggestions as well just the stock carb is jueed a new one.

thank
ken
Done by kenchase90, on Flickr
smiley

Re: need help with my 77 ra29

Post by smiley »

Hello, If emmissions is a concern, both visually and tail-pipe readings, then the stock carb is the way to go. If the car doesn't need a visual, then for ease and performance the Weber 32/36 is the way to go.Kits seem to range in the $300-$350 range....mike
kenchase1990

Post by kenchase1990 »

ok heres my next question with the weber conversion.. what do you do with the egr valve. the oem carb has the poly spacer with the tube that goes over to the egr will the weber have that or can i just say screw the egr?
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, if you don't have a visual inspection, then you can make, or buy an EGR block-off plate. L.C. Engineering sells them. Leaning toward the Weber?...Mike
slowmo

Post by slowmo »

If you buy the smog-legal weber 32/26, it comes with the carb adapter that has an egr fitting. They do exist, you just have to look around for them. It also uses the water choke like the stock carb, has the fuel-cut solenoid like the stock carb as well, in addition, it has the adapter so you use the stock air cleaner.

Good luck.
77 Celica Liftback GT -- 20r engine with weber 38dges, LC Engineering header, electronic ignition retrofit, 14x7 supra wheels.
kenchase1990

Post by kenchase1990 »

yeah its looking like im going to do the weber gonna be best, but is there any side efects of plating off the egr??
smiley wrote:Hello, if you don't have a visual inspection, then you can make, or buy an EGR block-off plate. L.C. Engineering sells them. Leaning toward the Weber?...Mike
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, No, nothing negative.actually you will be getting more air-fuel mixture in the cylinders, as the EGR sends already burned gasses back into the cylinder, to dilute mixture. you will also be getting rid of other polution devices to, like most of the vaccuum control devices, and A.I.R. (smog pump) stuff.About the only vaccuum line you will have will be for the vaccuum advance. Recc. the electric choke version for easy hook-up.There is the air pipe that goes to the exhaust manofold, that if removed, will need block-off plates too...Mike
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

Its a California car but are you in California and if not in Cali do you have to smog the car to be legal? If you are in Cali then you must retain all the smog equipment for that year including the EGR pump etc. You will have to find a Smog Legal Weber to make it legal(better bet) or fix your stock Carb.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, Cary, can you elaborate on the Cali smog, Just for some clearer guidlines?.thanks.....mike
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

76-newer are required to have all smog in place and functional.
75-older are required to have smog equipment in place and functional but are exempt from smog testing. = do what ever you want really.
66-older do what ever you want
Engine swaps for 76-newer must meet the newer engine specs and equipment must all be off the newer vehicle.
Cant swap older engine in newer chassis. Cant swap truck engine to car and car to truck.

In a nut shell basically.

My car is illegal by the rule of law but not enforceable by the laws on the books really. The BAR here wont do anything about it.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, thank you. so, do they do a visual before a tail-pipe test? or maybe only if they fail?. How about a convertor,Was that required on a Cali car?...Mike
1JZRA21

Post by 1JZRA21 »

visual and tail pipe test. Yes 75 up cali cars had cats. The newer cars even do a dyno run test.
smiley

Post by smiley »

Hello, thanks again. Guess we'll wait for his answer as to him actually living in Cali. Slowmo's suggestion sounds best, if that's the case, eh?...Mike
kenchase1990

Post by kenchase1990 »

Hey guys haven't been on in a while but yes I am In Cali but only til October and ill b out of school. Unfortunately I can't fix this stock Carb it's been rebuilt like three times and the last time something was messed up and I absolutely needed my car so I had to make it work and used 3m. Adhesive to put it back tothether haha I know that's all bad but I had to do what I had to do. :|