Looking to maybe relive my youth?!

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
GS guy

Looking to maybe relive my youth?!

Post by GS guy »

Hey guys,
I stumbled on some early generation Celica websites - eventually leading me to this one - purely by accident, and now it seems I'm getting the urge to maybe relive my youth!

I had a '71 ST in high school and always thought it was a super neat car. I did all my own maintenance, even rebuilt the motor with help from a mechanic friend. A set of wire mesh wheels (cheapie BBS knockoffs) and some A70 & B60x13 tires gave it the right look. I envisioned more radical mods, but a poor kid's gas station job wouldn't stretch too far! Especially with girlfriends in the mix!
Eventually sold that one, the a few years later got a '76ST (and you know I really wanted a GT!). This one got lowered, AR Vector rims, wide radials, a header and 32/36 carb - a little more mods than the first! I even made my own aid dams for the '76. It too went away when I got around to buying my first new car (a Dodge of all things - but at least it was turbocharged!)
I didn't realize how much I loved those Celicas until they were long gone. :cry2:

Never seeing any here in the NE (Baltimore area) I figured they had just passed the way so many other "older" cars went - to the scrap yards in rusting heaps. Now I see the following they have.... and starting to envision maybe getting another? I tell you, daily driving a 06 RSX - great car, but no "car lust" for it! Those old Celicas have soul.
Now I'm finding myself daydreaming of rolling in a tricked out 1st gen., 71-74 early bumper style, lowered, flared - sort of an era IMSA look, with IR EFI on some sort of DOHC later model engine transplant......
You can tell - I like projects! And now I can afford them - at least as the kids transition out of college.
Oh well, for now I'll hang around and read up on what you guys are doing. I was mostly concerned about replacement parts, rust repair parts, wear items, trim and all the bits and pieces that go into bringing one of these old guys back up to like new spec. Sounds like most of this stuff is still available, with maybe a little searching around? I sure see some nice looking cars here!

I've still got the project I'm working on now to finish up first, so for the time beaing I'll have to reserve my Celica wants to the daydream dept!

Cheers,
Jeff
cervasa

Re: Looking to maybe relive my youth?!

Post by cervasa »

welcome to the forum they can be hard to find on this coast not rusted out, what is your current project?
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Another of my teenage youth's desires. I'm doing a sort of resto-mod of an original Deserter GS. It was fiberglass body car offered i the late 60's and early 70's - sort of a take off of the fiberglass body "dune buggy" - except this one came with a mid-engine tubular frame, special seat tub, designed to be a autocross car. Mine is getting a few upgrades in the restoration - Corvair engine swapped to Subaru WRX, VW trans to Porsche, all custom suspension and numerous other upgrades. It's a fun project, just taking a long time to complete. It's like designing and building your own kit car!
Jeff
cervasa

Post by cervasa »

ive never heard of it any pics?
GS guy

Post by GS guy »

Lots of pics, but everything is in pieces!

Here's an early mock-up with the wheels/tires:

Another from the rear, rear suspension, exhaust, etc:

Focusing on the front suspension and steering this year - hoping to get it to a drivable state this Summer.

Jeff
cervasa

Post by cervasa »

kinda reminds me of the manx