77 GT Liftback from Canada

Please introduce yourself and Celica or ride(s).
jdmlgnd

77 GT Liftback from Canada

Post by jdmlgnd »

Hello, I am working on a 1977 GT liftback with my father that is our father, son project car. At first it looked ok, but now that we have stripped it all down there is a lot of work ahead. We also picked up a 1991 Supra to use as a parts car to swap over as much as we possibly can. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

Parts Car

Here are some pictures of the rust we got to repair.

Now that I have finally been able to join this site ill try to remember to take more pictures of it since most of these are old already. The car is now down to only a shell and ready to cut out the rust and weld in patches.
75CelicaGT

Re: 77 GT Liftback from Canada

Post by 75CelicaGT »

Welcome to the club...

Looks like a decent starter project... you also have a nice Camero I see, plus that parts car looks pretty good too, using the engine I'm assuming?

PS: Where in Canada?
:cheers:
Pete
jdmlgnd

Re: 77 GT Liftback from Canada

Post by jdmlgnd »

Hi,

The Camaro is a 1970 RS/SS. Complete frame off build. Details at... http://cflett1.shawwebspace.ca/

The plan for the Celica GT is to use the 7mgte and R154 from the 1991 Supra. Will try to incorporate the Supra power steering, air conditioning, power everything, rear disks (w/ early Toyota truck 8" and Supra lsd), power steering and full interior (dash, panels, seats etc.). Building custom motor mounts to get the 7mgte as low as possible. The unibody will be be reinforced with frame connectors and stiffeners.

Both cars are pretty well stripped at this point. Currently working on rust repair. The external sheet metal is great with no damage and very little rust. Trunk is also rust free. Interior front foot area and side floor pans need to be replaced.

The 7mjgte and R154 will get a performance rebuild as we are looking for over 400 to the wheels. Should be lots of fun in a car as light as the Celica.